Art Basel Miami Beach has become one of the most prominent and well-attended cultural affairs to ever hit Miami where anything goes. During this week-long (officially only 4 days but that doesn’t stop Miami from celebrating well-beyond that time frame) frazzle, expect the unexpected. Everything from art to “art,” street fashion that pairs orange camouflage pants with a multi-colored Hawaiian shirt (yes, I saw this last night), creative food, and alcohol galore – all will happen THIS week.
There are a thousand different Basel articles and schedules out there – all very read-worthy. I will now construct my own to serve a few purposes: 1) to organize my own life and schedule 2) to coordinate with my friends 3) to let you all know of some of the best Basel events in town, and 4) because Kristine McGlinchey told me I should :)
*Note – some of these events are open to public, invite only, and/or RSVP-only
Tuesday, December 4th
Wednesday, December 5th
Thursday, December 6th
Friday, December 7th
- Art of Fashion – The Raleigh | 12:30-3:30pm
- Art of Basketball Heat Wave with Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh – Midtown | 8-11pm
- NQB8R & Spin Magazine – Gramps Bar | 4pm-4am
- Moving the Still GIF Festival Party – Wynwood | 8pm-12am
- Pulse After-Party – Shore Club | 9pm-12am
- Modus Miami Store Opening – Design District | 5pm
- United Colors of Benetton Present Tutti Frutti – South Beach | 6-9pm
- Tastemakers at Red Dot | 6-8pm
- Heineken Mural Project Pop-Up Party – 171 NW 23 Street | 5-8pm
Other cool stuff to check out -
Additional guides -
Gotta love honesty – Everyman Espresso
Here’s the world’s best NYC bucket list recommendations curated by the best of the best! I am going to attempt to accomplish a great deal of these during my week-long stay here. I’ll also be adding my own recommendations to this list as I experience them.
If you’d like more information about a specific place, tweet the person listed after the recommendation. – Enjoy :)
- Essex @AshleyElisaG
- Intermezo (all you can drink drag brunch, go with your girlfriends for a good laugh!) @AshleyElisaG
- Jane (brunch) @JamieDeRosa
- LAVO @GlennEbert
- Penelope @AshleyElisaGt
- The Smith (brunch) @JamieDeRosa | I highly DO NOT recommend this place. The food came out in 5 minutes. Most of the food was cold or luke-warm. The only thing that was memorable was the cheesy grits.
It’s been roughly 8 to 9 years since I last visited New York City. Yes, I was a foolish 13-year old high school student on a class trip (I don’t even remember why Indianola High School even conducted this trip). We did every tourist trip imaginable alongside my fellow foolish classmates (remember how boys acted when they were 13? Yeah… Pity me please). We went to the top of the Empire State Building, toured the United Nations, saw Beauty and the Beast on Broadway, walked through Central Park, yada yada yada…
Now that I’m “all grown up” (ehem legal drinking age), I’m STOKED to be visiting NYC for the next 7 days over Thanksgiving (thanks to my girl, @jtangerine02 for letting me stay)!
Dear “concrete jungle where dreams are made of ” -
Where should I go???
I need recommendations from all of you who have lived in or traveled to The Big Apple! Things like…
- Where to eat
- Where to drink
- Where to party
- Where to shop
- Where to spend a few hours working online (free WIFI please)
- What to see
- What to experience
- What to bring
- Which parts of NYC I should spend my time in (ie – Brooklyn, Chinatown, etc)
- Did I overlook that you live in NYC, and should look you up when I get there?
Here’s a list of places/things that have already been recommended to me. Feel free to chime in if you agree/disagree:
- DBGB in NYC (lunch)
- The Dutch (dinner)
- The Lion (dinner)
- Pastise same owner as Balthazar
- Fatty Q upper west side
- La esquina
- Brush Stroke (David Bouley) (dinner)
- Nobu 57 (dinner)
- The Smith (brunch)
- Jane (brunch)
(thanks to @JamieDeRosa for the above recs)
- Pig and Khao (thanks to Austin Haight)
- Grey Dog Cafe
- Union Square Market
- Bahn Mi Saigon
- The National
(thanks to @MarisaScime for the last 4)
Drink (thanks to @JamieDeRosa for all the below recs)
- Double 7
- Jay bird upper east side (grand opening)
- Little Branch
- Death and Company
- Sien Fuegos (Rum Bar)
- District 36 (like LIV)
- PHD downtown Dream Hotel
- One Oak
- Lavo (also killer for brunch, off the charts party)
I’ll be staying in the East Village – heard awesome things!
Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
May 23, 2012… That was the last time I blogged on here! Yikes… I’m a bit embarrassed and ashamed. I’m sure you can all relate to how quickly time gets away from us. With that, and the return of fall in Miami, I have made it a priority to get back on the saddle and keep you updated with everything social media, Miami, and fun! So what’s happened in the past 3 months of my hiatus? Well…
- I started my own social media consulting and marketing company! I still maintain an incredible relationship with my former employer Kaufman, Rossin & Co. I truly believe I have found my calling. I incorporated in May, and so far, so good. I can attribute my entrepreneurial spirit to my folks – a farmer and a teacher. For the first half of my childhood, I was raised with both parents around me all the time because farmers have flexible schedules, and my mom was our teacher (homeschooling). I realized I too have this entrepreneurial blood running through me so I merged that with my passion for social media marketing to launch AUBOOM Media, Inc. I really cannot say thank you enough to all those who have helped me get up and running! The support and advice from all my friends and networks have been incredible and have been vital to my success.
- A lot of hot, sweaty events in Miami. I’m looking forward to saying goodbye to summer and hello to fall! I know many Miamians are already planning amazing upcoming events, and I cannot wait to attend them all :) I will also be posting events again to keep you updated with all the crazy happenings.
- SeaTweetup II planning has commenced! We’ll be sailing away on the Norwegian Sky from October 12-15, 2012. If you missed last year’s cruise, this is your chance to make it up. Plus, we have A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. perks from incredible sponsors! Current prices start at $275 per person per two-person cabin. Check out the Facebook page and BOOK NOW. I’ll send out more details soon…
- Just living life to its fullest! I absolutely hate the “YOLO” phrase, but it’s true. You only live once. So, make the best of it!
Thanks for reading the re-introduction of my blog. I will be blogging again very soon (I promise)! I may also be adding a new blog to the works… Stay tuned :)